UPM Institutional Repository

Assessment of shoppers knowledge and perception towards plastic bag campaign in Kuala Lumpur


Syed Ismail, Sharifah Norkhadijah and Suhaimi, Nur Syakirah Hanani and Karuppiah, Karmegam (2021) Assessment of shoppers knowledge and perception towards plastic bag campaign in Kuala Lumpur. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 11 (19). 81 - 97. ISSN 2222-6990


The study measures the shopper's knowledge and perception about the plastic bag campaign among the urban population. A survey was conducted among 198 shoppers from three different retailers (i.e. hypermarket, supermarket, and convenience store) in Kuala Lumpur. Respondents' knowledge and perception were assessed through a questionnaire. Results show a high number of shoppers (72.7%) participated in the plastic bag campaign. The remaining 27.3% who not participating were given a reason of inconvenient to carry other bags during shopping activity (18.7%) and a plastic bag was lighter and easy to carry (18.2%). The majority of the shoppers (53%) have a moderate level of knowledge about the plastic bag campaign. As for perception, the majority of the shoppers (78.3%, N = 155) have a very good perception of the campaign. The majority (40.9%) of the shoppers agree that the campaign was at the right time and they have highly supported the campaign (53.0%). The chi-Square analysis determined a significant association between the level of shoppers' knowledge with education (X2 = 15.902, p = 0.003). Meanwhile, for the perception, significant associations were determined between gender (X²=11.078, p=0.004), occupations (X²=18.583, p=0.046), marital status (X²=11.712, p=0.003), and age group of shoppers (X²=17.602, p=0.007). In conclusion, the shopper's participation, knowledge, and perception towards the plastic bag campaign in this study can be considered at a good level.

Download File

Full text not available from this repository.

Additional Metadata

Item Type: Article
Divisions: Faculty of Medicine and Health Science
Institute for Social Science Studies
DOI Number: https://doi.org/10.6007/IJARBSS/v11-i19/11718
Publisher: Human Resource Management Academic Research Society
Keywords: Plastic bag; Environmental campaign; Shoppers; Knowledge; Perception; Practice
Depositing User: Ms. Nuraida Ibrahim
Date Deposited: 23 Feb 2023 03:33
Last Modified: 23 Feb 2023 03:33
Altmetrics: http://www.altmetric.com/details.php?domain=psasir.upm.edu.my&doi=10.6007/IJARBSS/v11-i19/11718
URI: http://psasir.upm.edu.my/id/eprint/96090
Statistic Details: View Download Statistic

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item