UPM Institutional Repository

Assessing Staphylococcus aureus in ready to eat (RTE) food and risk assessment of food premises in Putrajaya


Abd Wahab, Shafizi and Mohamad Salleh, Mohammad Ridzuan and Anyi, Ubong and New, Chia Yeung and Othman, Mohhiddin and Toh, Poh See and Chai, Lay Ching and Radu, Son (2016) Assessing Staphylococcus aureus in ready to eat (RTE) food and risk assessment of food premises in Putrajaya. International Food Research Journal, 23 (4). pp. 1761-1766. ISSN 1985-4668; ESSN: 2231-7546


This cross sectional study was conducted to determine of the presence of S. aureus in ready-to-eat (RTE) food, food premise sanitation level and the relationship between S. aureus presence in RTE food and the sanitation levels of food premises in the locality of the study. A total of 106 samples of RTE food were analyzed by MPN-PCR and the results confirmed that 56 (53%) samples contained S. aureus. Surveyed by type, cooked RTE food had 50 (45%) of the sample having S. aureus presence compared to raw RTE with only 56 (55%). As for risk assessment, a checklist containing nine (9) main parameters consisting of 40 variables as a basis, was conducted on 53 food premises to determine their sanitation levels. The results revealed that 49 premises (92%) are sanitary while the remaining 4 (8%) were categorized as unsanitary. In terms of risk level, 4 premises (8%) were categorized as ‘high risk’, 26 (49%) ‘moderate risk’, and the remaining 23 (43%) are at ‘low risk’. The study found no significant relationship between the presence of S. aureus in RTE food with the level of sanitation of premises in Putrajaya.

Download File


Download (288kB) | Preview

Additional Metadata

Item Type: Article
Divisions: Faculty of Food Science and Technology
Publisher: Faculty of Food Science and Technology, Universiti Putra Malaysia
Keywords: Staphylococcus aureus; Ready to eat (RTE) food; Risk assessment
Depositing User: Nabilah Mustapa
Date Deposited: 03 Aug 2016 03:01
Last Modified: 03 Aug 2016 03:01
URI: http://psasir.upm.edu.my/id/eprint/47978
Statistic Details: View Download Statistic

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item