UPM Institutional Repository

A high power generation, low power consumption solar tracker


Ahmad, Salsabila and Shafie, Suhaidi and Ab Kadir, Mohd Zainal Abidin (2012) A high power generation, low power consumption solar tracker. In: 2012 IEEE International Conference on Power and Energy (PECon), 2-5 Dec. 2012, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. (pp. 366-371).


This paper discusses the design, programming and results of a device that achieved low power consumption. The system has dual-axes tracking controlled by a Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) using a formula which were pre-calculated using the altitude and azimuth of the sun. The designed solar tracker was tested under several weather conditions in tropical climate environments. On a clear and sunny day, the power generated from the tracker is significantly higher than the non-tracking surface unit, whilst the power consumed by motors and controller are 0.05% and 5.84%, respectively. Overall, the power consumption of the tracker is only 5.89% of the total power generated.

Download File

Text (Abstract)
A high power generation, low power consumption solar tracker.pdf

Download (34kB) | Preview

Additional Metadata

Item Type: Conference or Workshop Item (Paper)
Divisions: Faculty of Engineering
DOI Number: https://doi.org/10.1109/PECon.2012.6450239
Publisher: IEEE
Keywords: Component; Photovoltaics; Solar tracking; Dual-axes
Depositing User: Azian Edawati Zakaria
Date Deposited: 10 Jul 2015 00:41
Last Modified: 16 May 2019 08:15
Altmetrics: http://www.altmetric.com/details.php?domain=psasir.upm.edu.my&doi=10.1109/PECon.2012.6450239
URI: http://psasir.upm.edu.my/id/eprint/39224
Statistic Details: View Download Statistic

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item