UPM Institutional Repository

Grain yield and associated traits of maize (Zea mays L.) genotypes in Malaysian tropical environment


Chowdhury, Golam Faruq Md Khairuzzaman and Nurul Farhana, and Zain, Mohamad Firdaus and Abdul Majid, Nazia and Rahman, M. M. and Rahman, M. Motior and Abdul Kadir, Mihdzar (2011) Grain yield and associated traits of maize (Zea mays L.) genotypes in Malaysian tropical environment. African Journal of Agricultural Research, 6 (28). art. no. 23C37DE32446. pp. 6147-6154. ISSN 1991-637X


Twenty two tropical composite maize (Zea mays L.) genotypes from International maize and Wheat Improvement centre (CIMMYT) were grown in randomized complete block design with two replicates to assess the correlation between yield and other traits such as 50% silking (female flowering date), 50% tasseling date (male flowering date, Ear/plant, thousand grain weight, plant height and ear height in the tropical environment of Malaysia. Grain yield correlated highest between field weight (rA = 0.59), followed by ear height (rA = 0.50) and plant height (rA = 0.49). Positive correlations was not found between grain yield and days to 50% silking (rA = 0.17), days to 50% tasseling (rA = 0.19), ear/plant (rA = 0.26) and thousand grain weight (rA = 0.10). Negative correlation was observed between maturation date (rA = -0.025) and grain filling period (rA = -0.198). Higher values of two traits, such as plant height (R2 = 0.24) and ear height (R2 = 0.25) showed appreciably higher tend to grain yield. From linear models, days to 50% tasseling (R2 = 0.04) and days to 50% silking (R2 = 0.04) accounted for only 4% of the total variation in grain yield (R2 = 0.04) while the other traits accounted for as much as 96%. No linear regression found between grain yield and maturation date (R2 = 0.00). But there were linear regressions between grain yield and ear / plant (R2 = 0.056), field weight (R2 = 0.361) and 1000 grain weight (R2 = 0.02) in proportion of 5.6, 36.1 and 2% of grain yield, respectively. Negative linear regression was observed between grain yield and grain filling period ((R2 =0.036). Field weight, ear height, and plant height and shell percentage have the highest correlation with grain yield that were determine by the yield of twenty two tropical composite maize (Z. mays L.). The present findings might be useful to the breeders to select the potential parental materials for maize improvement program in tropical Malaysia.

Download File

[img] PDF
Restricted to Repository staff only

Download (509kB)

Additional Metadata

Item Type: Article
Divisions: Faculty of Agriculture
DOI Number: https://doi.org/10.5897/AJAR11.1331
Publisher: Academic Journals
Keywords: Maize; Grain yield; Tropical environment
Depositing User: Nur Farahin Ramli
Date Deposited: 24 Jan 2014 09:03
Last Modified: 08 Nov 2017 05:32
Altmetrics: http://www.altmetric.com/details.php?domain=psasir.upm.edu.my&doi=10.5897/AJAR11.1331
URI: http://psasir.upm.edu.my/id/eprint/23737
Statistic Details: View Download Statistic

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item