Simple Search:

Feeding of different levels of metabolite combinations produced by Lactobacillus plantarum on growth performance, fecal microflora, volatile fatty acids and villi height in broilers


Citation

Chwen, Loh Teck and Nguyen T., Thanh and Foo, Hooi Ling and Bejo, Mohd Hair and Kasim, Azhar (2010) Feeding of different levels of metabolite combinations produced by Lactobacillus plantarum on growth performance, fecal microflora, volatile fatty acids and villi height in broilers. Animal Science Journal, 81 (2). pp. 205-214. ISSN 1344-3941

Abstract / Synopsis

The effects of feeding different dosages of metabolite combination of L. plantarum RS5, RI11, RG14 and RG11 strains (Com3456) on the performance of broiler chickens was studied. A total of 504 male Ross broilers were grouped into 7 treatments and offered different diets: (i) standard corn-soybean based diet (negative control); (ii) standard corn-soybean based diet +100 ppm neomycin and oxytetracycline (positive control); (iii) standard corn-soybean based diet + 0.1% metabolite combination of L. plantarum RS5, RI11, RG14 and RG11 strains (Com3456); (iv) standard corn-soybean based diet + 0.2% of Com3456; (v) standard corn-soybean based diet + 0.3% of Com3456 (vi) standard corn-soybean based diet + 0.4% of Com3456 and (vii) standard corn-soybean based diet + 0.5% of Com3456. Supplementation of Com3456 with different dosages improved growth performance, reduced Enterobacteriaceae and increased lactic acid bacteria count, and increased villi height of small intestine and fecal volatile fatty acid concentration. Treatment with 0.4% and 0.2% Com3456 had the best results, especially in terms of growth performance, feed conversion ratio and villi height among other dosages. However, the dosage of 0.2% was recommended due to its lower concentration yielding a similar effect as 0.4% supplementation. These results indicate that 0.2% is an optimum level to be included in the diets of broiler in order to replace antibiotic growth promoters.


Download File

[img]
Preview
PDF (Abstract)
Feeding of different levels of metabolite combinations produced by Lactobacillus plantarum on growth performance.pdf

Download (84kB) | Preview

Additional Metadata

Item Type: Article
Subject: Poultry
Divisions: Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
DOI Number: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2009.00701.x
Keywords: broilers, plantarum, metabolite combination, performance
Depositing User: Azizan Arshad
Date Deposited: 28 Mar 2011 03:17
Last Modified: 03 Nov 2015 04:39
Altmetrics: http://www.altmetric.com/details.php?domain=psasir.upm.edu.my&doi=10.1111/j.1740-0929.2009.00701.x
URI: http://psasir.upm.edu.my/id/eprint/11230
Statistic Details: View Download Statistic

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item