Locating Suitable Zones for Beekeeping in Selangor Malaysia.

Mohd Noor, Nisfariza Maris (2007) Locating Suitable Zones for Beekeeping in Selangor Malaysia. Masters thesis, Universiti Putra Malaysia.

[img] PDF
571Kb

Abstract

Modern beekeeping has been established in Malaysia since 1981 under the collaborative research and development of the Malaysian Beekeeping Research and Development Team (MBDRT), which was funded by International Dutch Research Council (IDRC). During MBDRT research several findings on the of beekeeping implementation in Malaysia have been compiled such as the list of bee plants, prospect ability of the industry and modernisation of beekeeping techniques. Although type of bee plant that supply nectar and pollen which are favourable to honeybees has been identified, the location of the source has not been identified yet and there is no map for suitable beekeeping location or zones especially using GIS and multi-criteria decision analysis technique. This research demonstrates the application of Geographical Information System (GIS) and Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis (MCDA) technology as a tool to aid decision-making process with particular case study of locating a beekeeping zone in the state of Selangor. In this research land suitability analysis is carried out with respect to the bee’s biotic needs and some other important factors in apiary management. The results of the two techniques for AHP with GIS analysis namely refereed VBA Macro in ArcGIS and prominent Weighted Overlay function are presented, compared and discussed with verification of ground truth data. The integration of AHP model with GIS provides zones of Non-Suitable, Most Suitable, Moderately Suitable and Suitable areas for beekeeping activity in Selangor. The total of Non Suitable Area (NS) is 34.73%, leaving the balance of potential areas of 65.27%. The remaining are the Most Suitable Area (S1) 13.72 %, Suitable Area (S2) of 27.24% and Moderately Suitable Area of 24.32 %.

Item Type:Thesis (Masters)
Subject:Honeybee
Subject:Beekeepers
Chairman Supervisor:Professor Shattri b. Mansor, PhD
Call Number:ITMA 2007 4
Faculty or Institute:Institute of Advanced Technology
ID Code:5468
Deposited By: Rosmieza Mat Jusoh
Deposited On:12 Apr 2010 01:38
Last Modified:15 Sep 2014 08:36

Repository Staff Only: item control page

Document Download Statistics

This item has been downloaded for since 12 Apr 2010 01:38.

View statistics for "Locating Suitable Zones for Beekeeping in Selangor Malaysia."


Universiti Putra Malaysia Institutional Repository

Universiti Putra Malaysia Institutional Repository is an on-line digital archive that serves as a central collection and storage of scientific information and research at the Universiti Putra Malaysia.

Currently, the collections deposited in the IR consists of Master and PhD theses, Master and PhD Project Report, Journal Articles, Journal Bulletins, Conference Papers, UPM News, Newspaper Cuttings, Patents and Inaugural Lectures.

As the policy of the university does not permit users to view thesis in full text, access is only given to the first 24 pages only.