Keyword Search:


Bookmark and Share

Application of an evidential belief function model in landslide susceptibility mapping

Althuwaynee, Omar F. and Pradhan, Biswajeet and Lee, Saro (2012) Application of an evidential belief function model in landslide susceptibility mapping. Computers & Geosciences, 44 . pp. 120-135. ISSN 0098-3004; ESSN: 1873-7803

[img] PDF (Abstract)
48Kb

Official URL: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S...

Abstract

The objective of this paper is to exploit the potential application of an evidential belief function model to landslide susceptibility mapping at Kuala Lumpur city and surrounding areas using geographic information system (GIS). At first, a landslide inventory map was prepared using aerial photographs, high resolution satellite images and field survey. A total 220 landslides were mapped and an inventory map was prepared. Then the landslide inventory was randomly split into a testing dataset 70% (153 landslides) and remaining 30% (67 landslides) data was used for validation purpose. Fourteen landslide conditioning factors such as slope, aspect, curvature, altitude, surface roughness, lithology, distance from faults, ndvi (normalized difference vegetation index), land cover, distance from drainage, distance from road, spi (stream power index), soil type, precipitation, were used as thematic layers in the analysis. The Dempster–Shafer theory of evidence model was applied to prepare the landslide susceptibility maps. The validation of the resultant susceptibility maps were performed using receiver operating characteristics (ROC) and area under the curve (AUC). The validation results show that the area under the curve for the evidential belief function (the belief map) model is 0.82 (82%) with prediction accuracy 0.75 (75%). The results of this study indicated that the EBF model can be effectively used in preparation of landslide susceptibility maps.

Item Type:Article
Keyword:Landslide susceptibility; EBF model; GIS; Malaysia; Remote sensing; Kuala Lumpur
Faculty or Institute:Faculty of Engineering
Publisher:Elsevier
DOI Number:10.1016/j.cageo.2012.03.003
Altmetrics:http://www.altmetric.com/details.php?domain=psasir.upm.edu.my&doi=10.1016/j.cageo.2012.03.003
ID Code:40064
Deposited By: Nabilah Mustapa
Deposited On:27 Aug 2015 14:18
Last Modified:27 Aug 2015 14:18

Repository Staff Only: Edit item detail

Document Download Statistics

This item has been downloaded for since 27 Aug 2015 14:18.

View statistics for "Application of an evidential belief function model in landslide susceptibility mapping"