Preliminary Study on Isozyme Variation in Silkworm Germplasm of Bombyx mori (L.) and its Implication for Conservation

P., Somasondaram and K., Ashok Kumar and K., Thangavelu and P. K., Kar (2004) Preliminary Study on Isozyme Variation in Silkworm Germplasm of Bombyx mori (L.) and its Implication for Conservation. Pertanika Journal of Tropical Agricultural Science, 27 (2). pp. 163-171. ISSN 1511-3701

[img] PDF
4Mb

Abstract

Genetic diversity within and among twelve silkworm Bombyx mori races was investigated using metabolic enzymes viz., a-esterase (a- EST), b-esterase (b-EST), glucose fYphosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) and acid phosphatase (ACP). A perusal of genetic diversity within and among races indicated that 28% of the observed variation occurred among races and the rest of the variation (72%) within races. The average rate of gene flow between pair wise comparisons of the twelve races was found to be very high (0.62). Genetic relatedness of the twelve races revealed fly the UPGMA dendrogram, showed genetic grouping of races in six clusters. NB4D2 and NB18 are genetically similar while BL-24 and Nistari are genetically distant races. Populations of silkworm races ]-112 and NB4D2 showed the highest genetic diversity, %polymorphism and more alleles, respectively. Their rich genetic diversity needs to be exploited in conservation and breeding programme.

Item Type:Article
Keyword:Bombyx mori, genetic diversity, isozymeBombyx mori, genetic diversity, isozyme
Publisher:Universiti Putra Malaysia Press
ID Code:3573
Deposited By: Farhana Yusof
Deposited On:30 Nov 2009 03:55
Last Modified:27 May 2013 07:09

Repository Staff Only: Edit item detail


Universiti Putra Malaysia Institutional Repository

Universiti Putra Malaysia Institutional Repository is an on-line digital archive that serves as a central collection and storage of scientific information and research at the Universiti Putra Malaysia.

Currently, the collections deposited in the IR consists of Master and PhD theses, Master and PhD Project Report, Journal Articles, Journal Bulletins, Conference Papers, UPM News, Newspaper Cuttings, Patents and Inaugural Lectures.

As the policy of the university does not permit users to view thesis in full text, access is only given to the first 24 pages only.